In the book, Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins, we are looking through the main character Katniss's eyes. We are looking through the eyes of a rebel. The perpective we are missing is the Captiol's side, for example President Snow.
Looking through the eyes of rebellion, we would think the other side, in this case The Capitol, are cruel and is seeking way too much power. Katniss describes them as people who just wants what's good for themselves, and not their citizens. And she says they kill people when ever they don't get what they want. I think Collins left out the perspective of The Capitol, because I think she wants us on "her side" which is the rebels when we read this book because that is what she thinks is right. I looked deeper, and I believe she uses Katniss as a gateway, into her mind. I think she uses Katniss to represent her in a way because if she wanted to say that power is a good thing and that freedom isn't a given, then Collins would have probably told this story through President Snow's eyes or someone from District 2. But instead, she wanted to say that you need freedom, so she used a voice from someone from the rebels, the side that is fighting for their freedom!
I think the reason sometimes we think someone is a "good" person, is because of the way the author describes him/her. If Collins wrote this book in the voice of a person supporting The Capitol, we would probably think the Capitol did the right thing for fighting against the rebels, and doing things like bombing District 8. Maybe The Capitol actually had a reason to take control of the Districts. Maybe, since the earth was so ruined, that Snow wanted to keep everything in order, so our species won't die out completely (become extinct!) Also, in every book, whenever you kind of have to choose sides, they author makes things seem really bad on the other side, so it is very clear which side the author wants you to take. I think that if you see things from both sides, then you might not think someone is considered "bad", or even "good!" If she wrote this book through President Snow's eyes, she will probably say something like this to make Katniss seem like the "bad" character, "Katniss is just trying to fight for freedom because she wants to keep the citizens away from annoying her about The Hunger Games! She probably just doesn't want to compete again so she wants to fight and get attention!"
I think the author makes you take the rebels' side so you will understand her message that, power is not good and can turn people into savages. The way Snow kills people with his power. I also think, keeping a voice away from us in a story, makes us just completely think, oh yeah that side is definetly the enemies! Also, I think Collins didn't want us to know about what power can do. It can do really bad things like hang people instantly if you feel like it. And keeping that information away will prevent us from turning into savages!
Keeping us from the other sides' perspective makes us understand her message in the book better. Which is why I say, DOWN WITH THE CAPITOL!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment