Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blog Post #3: Mockingjay- Theme

***SPOILER ALERT***

The theme or message in this book is that "War doesn't solve anything and it is not good." The author Suzanne Collins really shows this message by having many deaths in the book and cruelty going on, (right now I'm at the beginning of the book so I am also talking about the last book, Catching Fire.) I also think that another important theme in the book is that the government can be very cruel and selfish. 

The theme of war and government cruelty is shown in the book by The Hunger Games! The Hunger Games represent war, because they are basically lifted into an arena, then being forced to kill each other off for no reason at all! And why do they want people to kill each other anyways? It's not good! And I think Collins wants to empathize that war is bad, also through Peeta. The way that he is captured from President Snow after the Quarter Quell makes a message about what war can lead to and how things never get good from it. Also, when Peeta was telling Coin, the President of District 13, that he wanted a cease-fire and just call the war off, Katniss didn't know if he meant it or not! Maybe he was forced to say that just so he can save Katniss. Maybe Snow told him to save that if he wanted to stay alive, so they can catch Snow off guard. And because he was defending Katniss during the meeting about what happened during the Quarter Quell, it gives us another clue that he got forced into saying it to save Katniss.

I think that Collins is trying to make us feel happy for what we have, and for us to know that war isn't good. Cause when you fight fire with fire, you just get a bigger fire. It doesn't solve anything. I think she wants us to be happy that our lives aren't like this, and that we should be happy that we don't have to watch people get killed in an arena every year, or worse, be in that arena! And that is why she has a lot of innocent people (or not) get killed even after the games!

I think she wants us to know that you never know, this can happen someday and you just have to live everyday likes its the last day you will, before it all blows away into dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment