Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog Post # 2 Bridge to Terabithia: Leslie and Jess's friendship (Writing Entry)

Jess and Leslie's relationship at first doesn't really go to well. They didn't really start out as friends. Jess social normed her at first, he used to not like her because she wasn't a "typical girl" he followed everyone else. He didn't want to be seen around her because no one liked her.


Jess learns a lot about Leslie though. The turning point is when Jess realizes that he doesn't care about what everyone else thought, he became friends with her because he was inspired by her. He realized that when Leslie beat all the boys in the race, and got teased, but she could hold her head high! Then he could be friends with her and push everyone else's thoughts out of the way.


After that turning point, both their lives were dramatically changed. Leslie is a mentor to Jess, she kind of takes him on a journey, and teaches him to just be a kid and not be concerned with what others think of him. And also that a little imagination, (Terabithia) can mean a lot! And as for Jess helping out Leslie, she just has someone to share all her imagination, adventures, and wisdom with!


I guess I never had a friendship like this. I always learned this kinda stuff on my own. I never had someone that I really love to share all the excitement with. But I guess I don't really want a friendship like this though because I want to be more independent and don't have to rely on others, and also, if something tragic happened, I would be crushed for months. Jess was so devastated when Leslie died because she taught him a lot, but if he did everything on his own, he wouldn't be so crushed.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you put your own spin on it, and you really ask yourself, What would I do if I was Jess, and a person so close to me died? I think that you really explore the idea that friendships don't always last, and you have to hold onto the while you still can. I think that everyone can relate to this because there is nobody in the world who hasn't lost a friend, and it's a really important issue. But how is it better to be independent than dependent on someone else? Why is it important for people to rely only on themselves?

    <3 Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you but at the same time, you do need someone in your life to depend on. Because when times are tough you will always need a shoulder to lean on once in a while. But I also agree with you that you need to depend on yourself sometimes because when you get hurt, you will know how to get through it. Because once you start caring, that is when you get hurt the most. (Yup Liv, I am very wise!)

    Jailyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, but what you just said, contradicts what you wrote... I agree with what you just wrote, where you need someone to depend on, but I disagree with what you said in the post, about being independent, because I think that You always need a shoulder to cry on, and someone to take care of you, and sometimes you need to take care of someone else. I think that once you start caring, that's when the relationship really moves forward.

    ReplyDelete